Alfred Douglas Drew was born in Penzance. He served with the Parachute Regiment during the Second World War and was based in India until 1947. Subsequently he joined the Merchant Navy, working for the British Tanker Company during the 1950s and 60s. After returning to live in Penzance, he took up painting. Entirely self-taught, he opened his New Street studio in the early 1970s, selling his work and teaching art students for the next 15 years. His seascapes and landscapes sold throughout the UK and beyond. Every summer for many years his work was exhibited at Penlee House Gallery. Drew did not belong to any art groups or societies, preferring to be independent.
Oils, acrylics, watercolour
works and access
View from the Studio, oil on board, Penlee House Gallery
Chapel Street, Penzance, w/c, Penlee House Gallery
The Greenmarket, Penzance, w/c, Penlee House Gallery