The Penlee House Art Gallery & Museum is the municipal repository for the history of the surrounding area of the Land's End. It is also the gallery of choice for art exhibitions focussing mainly on the work of artists of the early Newlyn and St Ives schools/colonies up until the mid-20th century. The West Cornwall Art Archive and this website works in tandem with Penlee House, and the Director of Penlee House is a Trustee of the charitable trust which supports it. An excellent bookshop stocks the books that are mentioned in the reference sections of these entries, as available and in print.
The history of Penlee is fully explored on their own website.
The Museum has a collection of many thousands of photographs of the area from as early as 1870 and actively collects works by photographers working today - including artistic, landscape, genre and press photographs. The collection includes works by photographers such as Francis FRITH and VALENTINE, and also by local photographers such as Robert Hawker Peniel PRESTON, John MOODY, John GIBSON, RICHARDS and PENHAUL, etc. Some photographic albums are held within the collections, including albums originally owned by the Branwell family, an album of photographs of the Newlyn artists at work and play, and others of more topographic interest. Copies of the photographs can be ordered for personal use (copyright permitting).
works and access
misc further info
Hardie (2009) Artists in Newlyn & West Cornwall;
Hoyle, H (Sept 2010 Women Artists in Cornwall www.cornishmuse.blogspot.com) 'Sea Change - Art in St Ives 1914-1930
Hoyle, H (Nov 2011 Women Artists in Cornwall www.cornishmuse.blogspot.com) 'A Forgotten Prodigy - Joan Manning Sanders 1913-2002'