The sister of Dorothy, both being daughters of the Catalan painter Vincent Philip Yglesias (1846-1911), a London-based artist associated for 13 years with the artists' colony at Walberswick, Suffolk (Scott).
After their father's death the family moved to Cornwall from north London, the two sisters, their brother and their mother Edith, also an artist, first coming to Cornwall in 1912 and settling at Lamorna. Phyllis (aka Pog) was a London art student concentrating on sculpture. Close friends and exhibitors with the Birch family, together they ran a small gift shop at the foot of the Flagstaff Cottage driveway, with the Birches selling toys and small paintings.
In 1928 the sisters began the bird hospital and sanctuary, which Dorothy described in the Cry of a Bird. Pog created simple designs in stained wood. Her friend Ella Louise NAPER especially admired her work and owned several of her sculptures. Bernard WALKE, parish priest of St Hilary, asked her for a contribution of her work toward the Lady Chapel, so Pog created a life-size crucifix which is on the north wall of the church (Illus, C Fox). Her special friendship with Laura KNIGHT and Mornie BIRCH and her family is explored in Lamorna KERR's reminiscences (Hardie) of artistic life in Lamorna. Lamorna Birch's headstone at Paul Churchyard was carved by Pog.
Sculpture, painting, collage, woodcarver and toy maker
works and access
Parish church of St Hilary, Cornwall (nr Penzance)
NAG 1926, Dec, craft section; 1932 craft section
Women Artists Exhibition (Falmouth AG, Group 1996)
Garrihy [in Hardie] (2009) Artists in Newlyn and West Cornwall (pp95-6, p302)
Hardie (1994) In Time & Place, Lamorna;
Hardie (1995) 100 Years in Newlyn/Diary
Hardie (2009) Artists/Newlyn & West Cornwall p302
L Knight Oil Paint & Grease Paint
Newton et al Painting at the Edge (her father, Vincent Yglesias)
D Yglesias Cry of a Bird (illus by P Yglesias)
Wallace et al (1996) Women Artists in Cornwall 1880-1940 (exh cat)
Cornishman Dec 1926; 6 Jul 1932