Caroline was one of six daughters of a wealthy Liverpool stockbroker whose family home was in Birkenhead. She was the eldest, but at least two of the other Jackson girls - Therese JACKSON and Enid JACKSON - came to St Ives periodically and shared lodgings at Bowling Green Terrace.
Caroline Jackson was a sculptor, working primarily in plaster, but exhibiting the occasional bronze and some small plasticine figures. Having moved to St Ives in about 1904, she joined the Arts Club in 1906, although her work is not mentioned at exhibitions until 1910.
At Lanham's in 1914 she showed A quiet afternoon. She contributed work to STISA shows from 1928, and although not a founder member, she was the only exhibiting sculptor member of STISA in its first ten years of existence. In 1928 she was living at 8 Bowling Green Terrace, St Ives.
works and access
Works include: Portraits of Mr. Lang; Miss Celia Meade; Master Patrick Matthew; Miss Warren; Miss Power (all Plasticine, c1914); A Dancing Girl (plaster, 1914) and Diana (1914); A quiet afternoon (1914); A Ballet Dancer and Mrs Lloyd (plaster statues, both c1920); a sculpture of her sister Alice Marie Therese Jackson (1934)
STIAC Show Day 1910, March 1912, March Show Day 1914, March, Show Day 1920, May 1920
STISA 1932 and 1934 Touring Shows, Summer 1934 (exhibited sculpture of sister Alice)
STIAC from December 1906
St Ives Times 22 Mar 1912, 27 Mar 1914, 5 Mar 1920, 14 May 1920
Garrihy [in Hardie] (2009) Artists in Newlyn and West Cornwall p 96 and p332
Tovey (2003) Creating a Splash;
Tovey (2009) St Ives: Social History;
Whybrow (1994) St Ives (1901-10 list pp 213-4)