Ron Wood was born in London. From 1936 to 1941 he was an apprentice engineer, and the subsequent five years were spent in the Royal Navy. From 1946 till 1966 he lived in Kent, following a career in marine and nuclear engineering. During the 1950s he was a student at London's St Martins School of Art.
Wood moved to Cornwall in 1966 to follow a career in painting and sculpture. Settling near Truro, he worked with glass fibre and polyester resin. His work was shown in group and many solo exhibitions in Cornwall and throughout the UK. It is also held in private collections in Britain, Europe, the USA and South Africa.
During the 1970s and 1980s he was awarded several commissions for sculpted works.
works and access
The Old Mine is the title of an oil painting on canvas, that is part of the collection brought together by the St Agnes Museum. It was acquired by them in 2006.
Penwith Society of Arts
Newlyn Society of Arts
Whybrow (1986) Forms and Faces: Sculptors in SW Cornwall;
Public Catalogue Foundation (PCF) Cornwall & the Isles of Scilly: Oil Paintings in Public Ownership